Monday, February 27, 2012

A most detestable villain

**Warning: this post will contain spoilers from the book Sir Percy Leads the Band, as well strong opinions and jumbled thoughts.  Read on at your own risk. **

I have now come across a most detestable villain, by the name of –

Yes, yes, I know what you’re thinking.  But it’s not my dear friend Monsieur Chambertin, beg pardon, Chauvelin.  I don’t even mean Armand. I mean –

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Lord St. John Devinne.
(to be found in the thesaurus under despicable, blackguard, vain, treacherous and all such synonyms)

Really, this guy is almost worse than Chauvelin.  He, at any rate, acknowledges that Sir Percy is brave and compassionate and maybe even has a teeny little bit of respect for him, at least, as a worthy foeman.

But my Lord St. John……

What a traitor!  And part of the League too! (Although one who does wants to get out of it.)  I believe I hate you more every moment, Devinne.

There was nothing he desired more at the moment than to extricate himself from the entanglement of the League, but he was wise enough to realise that if this was done at this juncture, he would, on his return to England, find the doors of more than one smart hostess closed against him.

Have you no shame?

(Actually, yes, you have a great deal too much.  You just might not have noticed it.)

And you don’t even have the tiniest bit of a reason.  No, wait, there can’t be a reason for such treachery.  I’ll say excuse.  What is your excuse? Or explanation?  You’ll want a cast-iron one, you know, to make me understand it.


Oh, what was that?  You said you were in love?  Even if you were, you purposefully put her in danger by trying to stop Blakeney’s plan to save her.  And as to your real feelings, bah!  I have it from your authoress, Baroness Orczy herself, what your love really was.

“He imagined himself more deeply in love with Cécile de la Rodière than he had ever been before and more deeply than he actually was. Love, in a man of Devinne's type does not really mean much, except the satisfaction of vanity…”

You are so full of vanity that you can’t recognize a man a million times better than you even when he stares you in the face!  What was that you said about your chief?

“It was up him, Devinne, now to show that arrogant chief of a league of sycophants, who was the better man.” 

You – you – you……


(What exactly does the word sycophant mean?  I must look it up in the dictionary.  Let me see: a servile, self-seeking flatterer; toady, informer, slanderer…)

You – you – you crocodile! You’re the sycophant, not them.  And as to the arrogant part, go away quick before I lose my temper. I feel extremely ready to follow my Lord Hastings’ advice.  “Shall I go out and wring his neck?”


Show Blakeney who is the better man!  Excuse me while I laugh, this is really too preposterous.  The very idea!  Perhaps I’m not saying you are a detestable, vain, traitorous, cowardly, cheating, villainous wretch, my Lord St. John Devinne, but one of you is a detestable, vain, traitorous, cowardly, cheating, villainous wretch and it’s certainly not him.  There.

7 comments:

Kellie said...

Oh, I had completely forgotten about Lord St. John Devinne - till now! I read The Band, etc, about two years ago, so he's slipped my memory.

Please excuse me while I go get out my oar and properly bewhale this malodorous wretch. Makes my blood boil, I say! ;)

Maria Elisabeth said...

Makes my blood boil too, so much that I had to write a whole blog post to him that he wouldn't be able to see anyways. I wish he could, it might do him good.

Miss Dashwood said...

“It was up him, Devinne, now to show that arrogant chief of a league of sycophants, who was the better man.”

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
*aslfjkalsjfkasjdflkjsafdlkjaslfjdaksjflkjkdajflkjs*

(That's me slamming my head repeatedly against my keyboard.)

Idiot. Moron. NOT FIT FOR PERCY TO WIPE HIS FEET ON.

I'm currently five chapters into El Dorado (took your advice and downloaded the Librivox recording---LOVE) but as soon as I finish that amazing book I'll be laying my hands on a copy of this one. I do so love to hate a good dastardly villain...

"Wants to get out of the League"?
Really, we shouldn't be hating this guy. He obviously is suffering from some severe mental illness. You know, the kind known as ABSOLUTE LOCO.

Great post, by the way. ;)

Alexandra said...

SHRIEK!!!

Now I MUST get my wee paws on this one! (Can you believe I haven't read this yet...well, ok, I've only read five so far...)It sounds EPIC, of course.

And someone...wanting to be OUT OF THE LEAGUE. Hey, man, can I take your place? Thank you.

(runs off to find the e-book...)

Miss Dashwood said...

Hahaha, Alexandra, you made me laugh. "Hey, man, can I take your place?'

You're going to have to fight me for it. ;)

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Dashwood,
Maybe you're right. He should get himself to a lunatic asylum quick before anyone has a chance to take him seriously.

Alexandra,
Unfortunately the books's not quite as epic as it could be, since Marguerite's not in it. But then, if she was, I tremble to think of what she would have thought of Devinne.

Oh, and if there's only one position in the League open you'll have to fight me too. But I recall in one of the short stories another villian so despicable that I won't even mention him, and maybe I could take his place instead.

Miss Dashwood said...

Marguerite's not in it??? What unmitigated gall, Baroness!!! Why on earth did you leave out our fair heroine?

Probably because she got tired of describing Margot's beauty on every other page. I know I would. ;) Still and all, she shouldn't leave her out entirely. I like Marguerite. *pouts*

However, I don't think Marguerite's absence will be able to keep me from reading this book as soon as possible.