Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Sir Percy Hits Back



Synopsis:

Fleurette lives in a village in Dauphine with old Louise and her father, Citizen Armand, whom she calls Bibi.  Life in her sleepy little village goes on as it has gone for all her eighteen years, until revolutionary soldiers come to her friends up at the chateau and she hears a mysterious voice that seems to come from an old, decrepit faggot-carrier.  And when her sweetheart is arrested and taken away Fleurette is caught up in a maze of terror, arrests, and hatred that threatens her very life.


My review:

I loved this book.  Other TSP novels find me sitting on the edge of my chair in suspense; this one had me doing that – and squealing with delight.  Baroness Orczy’s masterful writing style (a genius in her way with words, in my opinion) admirably echoes Fleurette’s sweetness and naïveté. Marguerite fans might be disappointed that she doesn’t make an appearance in this book, but there are plenty of things to make up for that.  Sir Percy and the League are behind it all, guiding everything.  In this book our dear M. Chaubertin (My spellchecker think that word is spelt wrong.  I wonder why.  Oh, beg pardon, I meant Chauvelin.  What!  My spellchecker still doesn’t accept it?  Really, does it have any respect for anything that matters?  (It doesn’t.  I’ve even had to add Blakeney to its dictionary.  Shame on it.))


But, as I was saying, you will be delighted to hear that the clever little villain figures quite heavily and actually begins to get what he deserves in this book. Whether you will want him to be punished when you actually see him begin to get tortured is rather a different matter entirely.  (But you do need to remember is that his first name is not Paul.  Just sayin’.)

What I suppose this review is supposed to tell you is that you must-must-mustly read this book as soon as you can.  I made the mistake of reading this book’s spoiler-filled Wikipedia article before reading – not a very good idea, but it was absolutely delightful all the same.  And as to the ending itself, as our hero would say, “La, man, it’s astonishing.”  But really, what else could you expect from Sir Percy Blakeney and the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel?


Note: Sir Percy Hits Back can be read online at Blakeney Manor, or downloaded as a text document from Gutenberg Australia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yay, another SP book I HAVE to read! : ) Already downloaded 'Sir Percy Leads the Band' onto my sister's Kindle, but I'm reading a few other books right now, so both will have to wait. : ( Oh, well.

Ashley

Alexandra said...

Yippee!!! I know the basic plot from this one from (like you said) a spoilers-filled Wiki article...the twist is amazing. And now I know where you got the "Chauvelin has a heart"...hehe. Of course, I must needs find out for myself. :-P Can't wait to read it.............