I've been going through the 'You know you're obsessed when.....' page on Blakeney Manor and sink me, it's been rather amusing. My instant reaction is"Oh yes, of course!" to almost all of them and to almost all the rest: "What a good idea! I should do that!"
Here are some that I just couldn't resist putting here.
4. ...you've made an SP webpage.
Does a blog count?
5. ...you've read all the books at least twice and
have whole chapters memorized and recite them on
I'd recite them on demand, but no one ever demands it. :(
7. ...you take weeks and weeks of your spare time to
write an SP fanfiction.
13. ...you research encyclopedias and internet
webpages to understand what exactly happened in the French
14. ...your "nom de plume" is a character from any
Only I can't decide which one. I do periodically change my screensaver to go with the wives of the members of the League. It has Yvonne de Kernogan right now.
15. ...you try to perfect every movement of
Anthony Andrews/Percy from the 1982 movie, including dancing and swordfights,
but are never quite as perfect as he is.
27. ...your family knows who Sir Percy, Margot,
Chauvelin and every other main person from ANY thing that has to do with TSP is
and dives for cover when you say, "They seek him here..."
My poor family.
33. ...you watch a movie and instead of thinking
how well the leading actor plays his part, you wonder if he would make a good
Done, with actors AND real people.
34. ...you spend more time thinking about how many
people you've turned into Pimpernelites than you do figuring out how much money
Let me see: my younger sister, my friend Sjanie, my friend Allison, a randon person at a conference. Let's not talk abou the money.
50. ...you research the French Revolution in
history books for references to the daring exploits of the Scarlet Pimpernel and
are surprised and indignant at finding no mention of him.
Guilty. But one of the books did! I was so delighted. The fact that they said he didn't exist is too ridiculous to be listened to.
54. ...you name all of your pets, (or mostly) with
names from the Scarlet Pimpernel.
My dogs: Sir Andrew Ffoulkes and Lord Anthony Dewhurst.
58. ...you are shocked and furious when your gifted
teacher fails to know the correct dates of the French Revolution; you then hop
in to give a little lecture.
I HAVE done this to history books and my French book.
61. ...the instant conversation lulls, you pipe up
with "Sink me, have you ever seen that stunning movie The Scarlet Pimpernel?"
When they reply with "Never heard of it" you take out your calendar and set a
date when you can get together and watch it with them, just so you have a reason
to see it again, and elaborate on the finer details of the plot.
"What have you been doing?" "Oh, I've read this great book." Yup.
65. ...you hear someone disparagingly referred to as
a fop and take an instant liking to that person. Too true.
68. ...every time you read a fan fiction, you cringe
any time something conflicts with Orczy (since you have every detail memorized),
forgetting the meaning of fanfiction.
Naturally. Fan fiction is supposed to be written by FANS, who WILL have every detail memorized.
79. ...when reading in history books about the
unsuccessful attempts to rescue the royal family your first reaction is "of
course it didn't work, Sir Percy didn't come up with the idea!"
Rathah. Or, "Why didn't Sir Percy think of doing that?
83. ...even though your parents wont let you take
French, you get a kick out of shortening "Spanish" in your planner to "SP"
Salt and Pepper. Thus, SP.
105. ...Scarlet Pimperenel characters find their way
into your dreams.
Guilty. Characters from most of my favorite books do.
93. ...on hearing the phrase "national anthem" you
immediately jump up and start singing Le Marsailles!
Allons enfants de la patrie, la jour de gloire et arrive... Yes. Only I don't know the tune.
110. ...you start wondering why your P.E. class
doesn't offer dueling as one of its activities.
Well, why not?
114. ...when confronted with a locked door, you
immediately say, "Open in the name of the Republic!"
Guess what I will be saying for the next week...
121. ...you thoroughly hate--and feel sorry
for--Chauvelin...at the same time.
124. ...you can successfully communicate with your
friends for hours about any topic using only lines from the movies.
Rathah. Only most of my friends haven't watched it, which is a real pity.
149. ...you scour the jewelry section of every store
you go to until you find a ring with a small star-shaped red flower on it, you
promptly buy it and wear it everywhere.
Please? My birthday is only in six months. Won't you get me an early birthday present?
152. ...you hum the films tune in your head all day
for 10 years.
I haven't had it in my head for ten years, but ten years from now...