Saturday, August 11, 2012

Six Foot Odd of Gorgeousness // by Petie


Sir Percy Blakeney. Such an impressive name was the first to grab my attention. His name was spattered all over several blogs I read, though I knew nothing about him. Somehow he was connected with a certain classic book I had been wanting to read, The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Further research revealed that Sir Percy Blakeney was the subject of excessive fangirling throughout the blogging world. Phrases such as “Sink me!” and “Odd’s fish, m’dear” were prevalent among his fans. Girls swooned at the very mention of him, and in their minds, he is the epitome of the title "hero." Oh, but if these girls were true Percy fans, they were referred to as being a member of “the League.” Ominous, no? Websites all over the blogosphere held events and commemorated special days as being totally dedicated to celebrating the Lightburst of Absolute Fabulousness that is Sir Percy Blakeney, Baronet.

But of course, I’m sitting on the other side of the computer screen, confusion permeating my mind. Who IS this Sir Percy?

Ladies and - well, mostly ladies, this is the story of how I was introduced to Sir Percy. How I discovered exactly who he was. How I became a TSP fan. How I quickly evolved into one of those  gushy fangirls who can swoon right along with the best of 'em. And how I joined the League. 

Here's the story: I read The Scarlet Pimpernel. Need I say more?

Okay, okay, I'll elaborate a bit. I finally grew weary of being left in the dark. If Percy was so phenomenal, I needed to meet this man! As soon as I could manage, I hastened to the library, snatched a copy of TSP, and settled down for a good read. But I must admit, I was a bit apprehensive. Would Percy live up to all the hype? Would he be everything I imagined? WOULD HE?

And now is the time for a good, loud SQUEEEEE!!! I could rave on and on about how incredible the actual book was, but I'm not here to talk about the book. I'm here to talk about Percy, okay? Deal with it.

Baroness Orczy dedicated nearly two full pages introducing us to Sir Percy Blakeney. Basically, he's about as much of a British fop as you could ever hope for. His clothes are always the highest fashion; he has not a care in the world; he's idiotic and shamefully rich; he's droll and lazy and uses popular phrases like "Odd's fish!"


So... why is the guy so special, you ask? Because he turns out to the none other than The Scarlet Pimpernel himself! A man who risks his own life in order to save the lives of innocent Frenchmen who are being threatened by the guillotine. His inane nature is really a facade in order to hide his true identity as the one and only Scarlet Pimpernel.

As brave and clever as he truly is, what impresses me most about Percy is his die-hard love for his wife, Marguerite. Even though she did not appreciate his love for her in the least, he never gave up on her, and he never stopped loving her. What a guy!

So in the simplest way possible... YES! Sir Percy completely and totally lived up to all my high expectations, despite my skepticism. Now I understand why girls go nuts whenever his name is mentioned. For pity's sake, I go nuts whenever his name is mentioned! He's ridiculously amazing, witty, romantic, courageous, self-sacrificing, tall and handsome (six foot odd of gorgeousness, you know!), and all-around a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious kind of guy.

And at the end of the day, he's still just a thoroughly British dandy who loves his cravats. :)

So... if you haven't met Sir Percy yet, all I can say is... ODD'S FISH! Oh, wait, that wasn't what I meant to say. It just popt out! Ahem. Instead, hasten thee to the library and remedy your sad situation. You will never regret it. How can I convince you enough? Just go. Now. Sir Percy rocks, okay?

I am in the league of the Scarlet Pimpernel!

(And just for fun, here's my favorite quote from the book. The quote which inspired the title for this post. *wink*)

"The young man drew up his slim stature to its full height and looked very enthusiastic, very proud, and very hot as he gazed at six foot odd of gorgeousness, as represented by Sir Percy Blakeney, Bart."

Have you met Percy yet?
Are you in the League?
What is your favorite thing about Percy?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Heya! I'm Petie, an aspiring author, wanna-be Brit, and die-hard Okie country girl. I love my Jesus, a good book, laughter, the color red, and coffee. And I'm probably the only Leaguette who hasn't seen the esteemed 1982 version of TSP. I blog over at Dirt and Dickens, where I share my obsession with literature, my thoughts on cultural or spiritual issues, too many pictures, and random musings about my crazy life. Come visit me, yes? Cheers!

4 comments:

Melody said...

I think I just realized my problem with Sir Percy, if I have one (people think I must since I don't like him as much as they do :P).

Tall people scare me...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ahem. Anyways.

Alexandra said...

Six-foot-odd of gorgeousness...on top of all his other amazingness...he's so tall!!! And I have a soft spot for guys over 6 foot tall. :)

More later...

Anonymous said...

WAHOO!! And we get another member into The Leaguette Club. : ) So glad you enjoyed it, m'dear.

To answer your questions, yes, YES!!!, and... oh, dear. His awesomeness, I guess. He's not afraid of putting himself at risk to save innocent lives. My favorite line from Eldorado has something to do with that but I can't find it. : P

Eowyn

Miss Dashwood said...

Hahahaha, Melody... wow.

Petie, I LOVED this post! What an awesome title, too. :D "For pity's sake, *I* go nuts whenever his name is mentioned!" Heeheehee.

Oh, and randomness--when I first read TSP at the age of twelve, I confess that I thought Sir Percy's last name was Bart. Heh. I realized the mistake a few chapters later, but that quote still makes me giggle.