Thursday, February 28, 2013

To Lucasta, Going to the Wars



When I posted about the letter Percy sends Marguerite in Mam'zelle Guillotine, I was struck that I had heard the line before - "I could not love thee, dear, so much, loved I not honor more." Soooooz I looked it up and lo-and-behold, there it was (not only was Percy the perfect hero, he was obviously well-educated. Sigh). Originally written by Richard Lovelace in the 1600's, the poem just seemed like it could have been written about Percy and Marguerite, so I had to post it here. Enjoy. :)


  
Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To war and arms I fly.
 

True, a new mistress now I chase,
The first foe in the field;
And with a stronger faith embrace
A sword, a horse, a shield.
 
 

Yet this inconstancy is such
As thou too shalt adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not Honour more.


"With the help of my faithful lieutenants I will bring those defenceless women safely to England according to my pledged word, then my arms will close again around you and you will feel my whole soul in a kiss."
~ Mam'zelle Guillotine


5 comments:

Molly said...

Oh, that is so beautiful! I loved it! It is so Percy-ish! :)

Eva said...

*siiiiiiiiigh*

GAH. That is so beautiful...and perfect for Percy and Marguerite :) And all those screencaps as well. They may be my favorite literary couple ever.

Miss Dashwood said...

CHILLLLLLLLLLLS with that Mam'zelle Guillotine quote. Okay, I have to read that one.

And the poem is gorgeousness. So short and so beautiful. LOVE it.

Alexandra said...

Eva - this is WHY they are my favorite literary couple ever. :)

Amy - YES. I think you'll really enjoy it. Percy's "disguise" is pretty obvious from the beginning (or it might be that I just know him too well now ;)), but it's gotta be one of his best since the Hag. SO hilarious.

Madeleine Durand said...

I read this poem in my senior year of high school, and I always remembered the line "I could not love thee, Dear, so much loved I not Honour more." It struck a chord in me. So about a year later while I was reading the Scarlet Pimpernel series, it kept running through my head. It seemed to belong to Percy. Then as I continued reading them, lo and behold, he said it! I was overjoyed! Happiest moment in my Sir Percy fanhood. I think it says so much about him! And it's so beautiful!