Saturday, April 27, 2013

"A quote is a handy thing to have about...

"... saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
~A. A. Milne

A. A. Milne always put things so well.  :D

Today is Percy Day, as proclaimed by the lovely Anne-girl of Scribblings of my Pen, and so in celebration of this auspicious occasion we would like to share with you some of our favorite TSP quotes.   Quotes by and about Percy, naturally.   This is, of course, by no means an exhaustive list.  Please do comment with YOUR favorites!


***


Marguerite bowed her head in silence. There was nothing more she could say, no plea that she could urge. Indeed, she had understood, as he had begged her to understand. She understood that long ago he had mapped out the course of his life, and now that the course happened to lead up to a Calvary of humiliation and suffering he was not likely to turn back, even though, on the summit, death was all ready waiting and beckoning with no uncertain hand; not until he could murmur, in the wake of the great and divine sacrifice, the sublime words, “It is accomplished.” 
~El Dorado


Blakeney watched him for a moment or two without speaking. His face through all the grime and disfigurement wore that expression of infinite sympathy and understanding of which he, of all men, appeared to hold the secret, the understanding of other people's troubles and difficulties, and that wordless sympathy which had so endeared him to his friends.
"Help you, my dear fellow," he now said. "Of course, we'll all help you, if you want us. What are we here for but to help each other, as well as those poor wretches who are in trouble through no fault of their own?"
~Sir Percy Leads the Band


"Ah?" quoth Sir Percy airily.  "The inevitable has always been such a good friend to me."
~The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel



But remember that in life there is always one supreme moment when Chance--who is credited to have but one hair on her head--stands by you for a brief space of time; sometimes that space is infintitesimal-- one minute, a few seconds--just the time to seize Chance by that one hair.
~El Dorado


I love you with my whole soul, with every fibre of my being, more than life and eternity, but I could not love you, dear, so much, loved I not honour more. With the help of my faithful lieutenants I will bring those defenceless women safely to England according to my pledged word, then my arms will close again around you and you will feel my whole soul in a kiss. 
~Mam'zelle Guillotine (spoke--er, written--by the man himself!)


He had no need to tell her that duty and friendship called, that the call of honour was once again—as it so often has been in the world—louder than that of love. She understood and she knew, and he, with that supersensitive instinct of his, understood the heroic effort which she made.
~Lord Tony's Wife


"A man talking to himself is ever in a sorry plight... he is either a mad man or a fool."
~The Elusive Pimpernel (Percy himself again!)


"Which would have been a pity, my dear M. Chambertin," Blakeney rejoined gravely. "I should not like you to forget me.  Believe me, I have enjoyed life so much these past two years, I would not give up those pleasures even for that of seeing you and your friends have a bath or wear tidy buckles on your boots."
"You will have cause to indulge in those pleasures within the next few days, Sir Percy," Chauvelin rejoined drily.
"What?" Sir Percy exclaimed.  "The Committee of Public Safety going to have a bath? Or the Revolutionary Tribunal?  Which?"
~The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel



"Nay, my friend," said Sir Percy, speaking more especially to Déroulède; "if you only knew how simple it all was! Gold can do so many things, and my only merit seems to be the possession of plenty of that commodity."
~I Will Repay


"Percy," whispered Armand, "Marguerite does not know?"
"Of course she does not, you young fool," retorted Percy lightly. "If you try and tell her I think I would smash your head."
~El Dorado


"You see, my dear M. Chambertin," the voice which he dreaded most in all the world said suddenly in his ear, "I would not forgo the pleasure of bidding you au revoir."
~Sir Percy Hits Back




No comments: